Friday 31 May 2013

The Kind of Okay Gatsby

I just got back from watching The Great Gatsby. Y'know, the story is really profound in a number of ways. Essentially, it's the story of a man who refuses to let go of the future which he's constructed for himself, and how his staunch refusal to allow anything to deviate from his own preconceived destiny eventually tears his life apart. The story actually resonates with me a little bit, and watching the film, it made me think that perhaps I should be taking some kind of lesson from Gatsby, whose relentless pursuit of a perfect love blinds him to the world around him. Gatsby creates a fantasy for himself which  includes only himself and the object of his desire, and when that starts to drift away, so too does his entire life.

...But, on the other hand, I don't really care that much.



Oh, and the movie was pretty good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment